mercredi 23 août 2017

The Introduction: In which I tell you a bit about myself

Hey y'all! I'm Emily Wellham, and I'm originally from Marietta, Georgia (a suburb of Atlanta). I'm majoring in Linguistics and Arabic. In case you aren't familiar with linguistics, it is the science of language. We study how you can take tiny pieces of sound and string them together into a meaningful sentence and the incredible diversity in sounds, grammar, and use among the world's languages. This semester I am in a couple of linguistics courses, including Structures of Lesser Studied Languages, where we'll be looking at Estonian and Icelandic and seeing what makes them tick, Language and Culture, which is an introduction to linguistic anthropology that emphasizes how people use language in a social context, and some linguistic research where I'll be comparing unrelated languages in a region to see how they've influenced one another.

As part of my Arabic study, I had the chance to spend two months in Meknes, Morocco this summer studying Arabic. It was absolutely fabulous, and I learned so much Arabic. One of my favorite of the units was actually on storytelling, which has a rich history within Arab cultures. In addition to language study, I had the chance to travel to several of Morocco's beautiful cities, including Tangier, Rabat, Fez, and Chefchaouen. The following song is in the Moroccan dialect of Arabic, known as Darija. Saad Lamjarred's popularity within the Arab world has been beneficial to the spread of Darija. I am also part of the Arabic Flagship program here at OU, which gives me the chance to study cultural aspects like poetry that are not covered much in class.
Let it Go. Web Source: Youtube.

In addition to languages and travel, my other favorite hobby is reading. While there's no way I could tell you just one favorite book, I particularly enjoy A Solitary Blue, Dorothy Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey series, Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, and The Lord of the Rings. I read several books this summer before taking off for Morocco: American Gods, by Neil Gaiman, which emphasized the meaning behind our landscapes and stories; A Tale for the Time Being, by Ruth Ozeki, which connects a girl and a woman across time and space by way of a diary; Word by Word, written by a woman who works for Merriam-Webster and talks about the process of making a dictionary and her love of words. If you have any book recommendations, please help me add to my ever-growing list. 

Since I'm a junior this year (hard to believe), it's getting close to when I need to think about my career and life after college. Well, I'll probably start with more school, specifically a master's in linguistics with a focus on language documentation. There are so many languages in the world - between six and seven thousand - and each of them has much to contribute to our understanding of how language as a whole works. I hope to help in the task of documenting languages before they disappear in a way that benefits both the scientific community and the community of speakers. Ideally, this will give me the chance to live and work in different parts of the world. Even though a linguist's job is to learn about languages, not the languages themselves, I also enjoy learning to speak new languages and hope it can be part of my everyday life. 

Personal photo, June 2017.

24 commentaires:

  1. That sounds like a very exciting project for your Language and Culture class, Emily! Do you have any thoughts yet about what region/languages you will study? I hope you will say something about that here in your blog at some point... I never had a class like that in school, but I know I would have enjoyed it!

    And I do have a beautiful book recommendation for you: Kanishk Tharoor's collection of stories called "Swimmer Among The Stars." All the stories are marvelous, and there is one in particular I know you would like, because it is about language extinction (the title of the book is from that story); here's an interview he did with Scott Simon at NPR where he talks about that story in particular: Author Kanishk Tharoor On Language And Short Stories. It's one of the best books I read last year, and I am usually not even that much of a short-story reader. But I thought this book was fabulous! :-)

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Hi Emily! First of all, your blog is really exciting looking! If you have any tips for how to customize mine that would be great, because I am very new to this whole blog thing. What made you want to come to OU all the way from Georgia? That is so cool that you did, and you major sounds incredible! If you are looking for any book suggestions this summer I read, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and Sabriel by Garth Nix, which I would recommend. I also love to read, so I may have to check out some of your suggestions as well! Good luck with your junior year and, as a senior, enjoy every opportunity you get coming up because it goes by way too fast!

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Hi Emily! Wow, you are the third linguistics major I have met in the past two weeks, and before that, I knew none! What a fascinating field of study, in my opinion. Not only does the study of languages teach us more about other languages, but the deeper we dive into it, the more related we all become as human beings. Every language that exists now had to begin from somewhere, right? I speak three languages myself, and it's amazing what doors open when you are able to communicate with other cultures. I am so glad you have gotten the opportunity to travel abroad, as I believe that it's the best way to learn. I wish you the best in your future studies :)

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. Hi Emily! I'm not good with languages so I could never imagine being a linguistics major. I have however lived in the middle east when I was in second and third grade and that was one heck of a life experience. Did you enjoy your time over there? I'm sure it must be very interesting learning the history of different regions languages. Is there anything you would like to do later in life as a linguistics major? I hope the rest of your time here at OU goes well and I wish you the best in all of your studies.

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. Hi Emily! That sounds like the coolest field of study! I wish I would have taken the opportunity to travel to other countries! I took a middle eastern music course last year and it seems like the languages are very difficult to understand. I always struggled with learning foreign languages and am very impressed that you do it as a degree! You still have plenty of time to get ready for after graduation! I hope all goes well this semester and good luck with your future trips abroad!

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. Hello Emily! Your major sounds amazing. It reminds me of the professor from My Fair Lady, who was able to write down sounds instead of letters, and therefore write down accents. Is that similar to what you are learning? It is so cool that you were able to study abroad in Morocco! Were you able to travel a lot? What kind of subjects did you study while over there? Also, Arabic seems like a really difficult language to learn. They have a completely different alphabet, and they read from right to left. Is there any particular reason why you chose to study this language? Does it lead into a future career that you like, or do you think that it is beautiful?

    RépondreSupprimer
  7. Hi Emily!
    I finally found your blog (or at least the one for this class)! I miss having in-class classes with you, but hopefully I'll see you around Wagner or the House-Learning center soon! I'm glad that Morocco was as amazing as you were expecting!
    Speaking of reading - did you keep reading that Throne of Glass series? Because book 7 just came out and I have to talk to someone about it! :)

    RépondreSupprimer
  8. Ahhh I understand why your comment box is not in English now. I have a friend whose family lives in Morocco for work. She travels there every other summer to visit them and her little sister. She actually spoke French while she was living there, so it's interesting that you went there to study Arabic. Interesting. You'll have a crazy life.

    RépondreSupprimer
  9. Emily,
    Hello! You seem like a fascinating person. Your studies of linguistics and Arabic are so cool! One of my Spanish professors several years ago had a PhD in linguistics, and she would always incorporate the philosophies of language and how it is learned into our classes. So interesting!
    One of my classes this semester is Islamic Theology. During our classes, in addition to discussions, we have been reviewing sections of the Qur'an. There are a surprising number of students that know Arabic, which I think is so cool! Kudos to you on studying the language.

    RépondreSupprimer
  10. Hi Emily!
    I've never met anyone who's major was in linguistics until now. I never knew the meaning of linguistics either and that's awesome that you have a passion for this and the language of Arabic. I'm jealous that you got to go out of the country doing what you love at the same time. I wish I had the time and money to study abroad. You're time dedicated to reading is incredible. I always tell myself that I need to keep my brain fresh and start reading, but I never get to it. I'm currently in the middle of two book: Mr. Mercedes and It.

    RépondreSupprimer
  11. Hi Emily!
    Wow, linguistics must be such an interesting major! Being a Pre-Health major, one of the things that is now being commonly discussed is how language serves as a barrier to healthcare sometimes. And, I believe that those that study linguistics could help us battle this barrier! I also love that you enjoy to read, as I wish I had time to do so. I will definitely have to check into some of the books you have listed here. I am looking forward to reading your stories, and to learn more about you. Nice to meet you!

    RépondreSupprimer
  12. Hi Emily! Wow your major sounds very interesting! I am dyslexic so other languages are a bit challenging for me. I love that you are so passionate about it though. Morocco sounds like such an interesting place. I would love to visit. That is really cool that you were able to learn Arabic in another country. I feel like when you have to speak the language you pick up on it a lot faster.

    RépondreSupprimer
  13. Hi Emily! Your major sounds so interesting and is not one that you hear much about ever. As an English education major, I think that is so fascinating. I also think it is so cool that you have such an interest in Arabic and that you want to travel. I hope you have a great rest of the semester and beyond!

    RépondreSupprimer
  14. Hi Emily!

    Wow how did you end up here from Georgia? I’m so jealous that you got to spend all that time in Morocco! I’ve always wanted to go there! It looks so beautiful and I hope you had a great time (I’m sure you did!). I’ve always though linguistics was so interesting and I’m so impressed that you are learning it! Look forward to reading your blog for the rest of the semester!

    RépondreSupprimer
  15. Hi Emily, I really like the theme you chose for your background and how Emily’s Manuscript matches the theme so perfectly! That is such a cool a major; I have never met anyone with that major before. Your trip to Morocco sounds so fun, I would love to see photos from your trip! I love your goal in life, good luck with everything you wish to accomplish!

    RépondreSupprimer
  16. Hi Emily!
    I really enjoyed the design and layout of your blog! I also really liked the video and pictures you incorporated into your introduction. I think it’s really cool that you are studying Arabic and that you got to travel Morocco! I’ve always wanted to go to Morocco and ride a camel in the desert! I hope you are having a great semester.

    RépondreSupprimer
  17. Hi Emily! I think your blog is really cool! Linguistics sounds like an incredible major! I remember watching the movie Arrival, which if you haven't already seen it I highly recommend it! It is all about how we would learn to communicate with an alien species and the linguistic methods behind it! I would absolutely love to go to Morocco some day, and it is really awesome that you have gotten so many opportunities to travel with your major!

    RépondreSupprimer
  18. Emily, I am so jealous that you got to go to Morocco! My cousin is an Arabic studies major at her university, and she was able to go as well, as she had the time of your life! Your picture really shows that you enjoyed yourself. Do you like the poetry that you've studied? I'm taking a poetry writing class right now, and I like it a lot. I would love some recommendations if you have any!

    RépondreSupprimer
  19. Hi Emily!

    Wow, studying abroad in Morocco sounds so cool! I would love to be able to study abroad at some point. I think Italy would be my dream destination, but now you’re making consider Morocco! You seem to be very passionate about Linguistics-that is awesome! I think studying something you love and are passionate in is the best thing to do in college.

    RépondreSupprimer
  20. Hello there Emily!
    Wow linguistics sounds really interesting! I have always thought language is incredibly fascinating. It is incredibly essential to society as well and I think we really take it for granted. We also don't realize the power language has and how important an extensive vocabulary is so that we can properly communicate. If there isn't a word for it, how do you even think it? Kinda trippy!

    RépondreSupprimer
  21. Hi Emily! I don’t think I know anyone else who is a Linguistics major or an Arabic major. It sounds interesting though. It’s awesome how you got to experience Morocco. I have never been there, but I am sure it was an experience you’ll never forget. I hope that you end up being able to pursue what you are passionate about and end up experiencing more languages and cultures.

    RépondreSupprimer
  22. Hey Emily!
    It was really really cool to read a little bit about you. I think a language major would be really interesting, and it would let you connect to more people. You also bring up the point of the history and stories surrounding language and it makes your major that much more interesting. I wish you the best!

    RépondreSupprimer
  23. Arabic is an interesting dialect to study. Do you have to learn the language enough to speak it or just enough to listen and read? I had a friend who lived in Morocco throughout her childhood. She speaks French, Arabic, and English and goes back to Morocco often to see her parents (she goes to the University of Oklahoma as well).

    RépondreSupprimer
  24. Hey, Emily! It is the end of the semester and I don't know how I haven't met you yet, but it is nice to meet you. It is never too late to meet new people. It is awesome that you are from Georgia. I have been a few places there and I fell in love with Savannah - one of my goals in life is to move there. I've also been to Atlanta a few times, the Coca-Cola museum is there if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, have a wonderful winter break!

    RépondreSupprimer