mardi 22 août 2017

Storybook Favorites

The first storybook to catch my eye was the Kalevala as told by Dr. Seuss. The Kalevala served as inspiration for one of my favorite authors, J. R. R. Tolkien, and I have been wanting to become more familiar with it for some time. On the other hand, Dr. Seuss was one of my childhood favorites. I enjoy the whimsy of his art and rhymes, and was interested to see what kind of flavor they gave to the epic tale of the Kalevala. I was particularly impressed by the introduction, which truly gave the sense that Dr. Seuss was narrating this story.

Lemmikainen upon the Flaming Horse of Hisi. Web Source: The Kalevala

Next, I could not resist The Little Dutch Store, as I am quite fond of the Netherlands. I enjoyed the setup of the story, easily imagining myself biking around the Netherlands and finding such a shop. The premise is that the narrator comes upon a shop in the woods filled with unusual goods, each of which is related to a folktale from Dutch history. I was unfamiliar with these particular stories, which centered on the arrival of Christianity in Friesland, the kabouters of Brabant and Limburg, and the history of the famous wooden shoes. The colors and design of this site fit the storybook well, and the illustrations were well-chosen to accompany the stories.


A typical view from the centre of Delft, the Netherlands. Web Source: Wikimedia.

Probably because of my fondness for Terry Pratchett's personification of Death, I enjoy reading other stories with this theme, such as Death's Final Story. The premise that Death is passing on their job to the reader draws in the audience well and was the first step in bringing the character to life. The first two stories were interesting, and I was glad to learn about the original appointment in Samarra after watching Sherlock. However, the third story gave Death the most personality and simultaneously developed the tale and personality of Sinbad.

Schip op zee
Schip op zee. Web Source: Public Domain Pictures.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire