lundi 30 octobre 2017

Reading Notes: The Mabigonion, Part A

I am looking forward to reading the Mabinogion, as it was one of the stories I discovered when I was looking ahead.

I found this table of Welsh orthography to be useful for pronouncing the names, since Welsh spelling, though straightforward, is different from English spelling.

I am particularly fond of Rhiannon's character, although I do not understand why she is in love with Pwyll. Was it because of what she had heard of his character? Had she met him before? What is the source of her magic powers, like her ability to stay ahead of anyone that Pwyll sends after her or the magic bag that she makes? I like how sassy and decisive she is. Some of my favorite quotes that show her sassiness are below.
Rhiannon. Web Source: Wikipedia.

"I will stay gladly," said she, "and it were better for thy horse hadst thou asked it long since." 

This is after Pwyll has been chasing her and sending soldiers on horseback after her, none of whom were able to catch up to her.

"Never did man make worse use of his wits than thou hast done."

This is after Pwyll promises a man any boon, and he then asks for her hand in marriage. I like how even though she is head over heels in love with Pwyll she does not hesitate to criticize him. It would be fun to rewrite the story from her perspective.

I feel bad though that she had to bear such a penance though she had done no wrong. To constantly have to admit to such a terrible crime as eating one's child while completely innocent and probably grieving would be miserable. How does she not turn out bitter and angry?

It's nice to read a story that's all connected, instead of a bunch of short stories. The flow helps it move faster.

Bibliography: Lady Charlotte Guest's The Mabinogion, link.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire