lundi 23 octobre 2017

Reading Notes: Alaskan Legends, Part A

Raven is a really interesting character. I am particularly intrigued by how he lifts up his beak mask to become human. It's a really neat image and reminds me of superheros. The geese do it too.

Ah how cute, the shrewmouse was made just to keep the earth cheerful. They are pretty cute. Maybe I will work a cheerful shrew into my story.
Image result for north american shrew
Shrew. Link.

On the other hand, why on earth would the Man tell mosquitoes to eat men not meat? I suppose the meat was more important than physical discomfort.

Another animal whose purpose would make it an interesting character is the bear. I can't tell if the Raven meant to make him to protect other animals or just to be an animal that could not be killed, but I like to think that the bear would become a sort of defender for the animals that are easier to kill.

In these stories, man's main sin is killing too many animals, not hurting other humans or Raven, which is interesting. Animals must be extremely important.

The magic used in the flood story is really intriguing. It consists of ritual words that don't seem directly related to the result. Raven repeatedly asks about sea urchins, which causes the flood waters to go down. I assume there is likely some connection, but it is not immediately apparent to me.

It would be interesting to do a social media story about Raven and his adventures. It could include Facebook updates about his travels with Man, rebukes and environmental activism when humans are too bloodthirsty, an invitation to feast after mother's death, and a relationship status change upon marriage. I could have some of the other characters respond in comments, such as Man, Raven-Boy, the Witch, or some of the other animals.

Bibliography: Katharine Berry Judson's Myths and Legends of Alaska, link.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire