vendredi 29 septembre 2017

Famous Last Words: I'm an Introvert

So basically, I was not as social this week and I feel much more rested at the end. Coincidence? I think not. Hopefully I've managed to work out a balance between people, school, and rest that will work better for me throughout the semester. I also found a new place to be productive - the Norman Public library. I love any library, including Bizzell, but sometimes it is nice to get away from campus in a place that is conducive both for concentrating and finding new books. Hopefully I will have time to read one of the books by Kamila Shamsie that I picked up today.

As far as this week's reading goes, I particularly enjoyed some of the semi-linguistic research I did on the etymologies of names from Cebuano and Tagalog in the tales from the Philippines that I read. I was also interested by the Christian themes, such as the cross and the devil, that came up, presumably since the Philippines are 86% Roman Catholic. Even though I did not end up writing about them, I am still very fond of the crab king and his sheriff. I also think the idea of an earlier kingdom populated by such creatures interesting, as I'm pretty sure evolutionary theory would place them on earth before humans.

I thoroughly enjoyed writing for my project this week. It was initially more challenging than I expected, since I wanted to modernize it and it's difficult to put a creation story at any time other than the creation of the world. However, I think my favorite part was creating my own spin on the characters of Tiamat and Qingu, who were traditionally villains. The original scribes who wrote and copied the story inserted variations on which gods were most important, though Tiamat was always present, so I carried on that tradition and gave Qingu more of a backstory. I am now quite attached to them both.
The Fight with Tiamat. Web Source: Crystalinks

1 commentaire:

  1. This is a post that I completely relate to 100%! There are definitely weeks that I get to the end of and I am exhausted. They're good weeks, but I'm worn out. It definitely comes down to the fact that sometimes I forget to set aside time for myself to recharge and let my introverted side recover. Reading a good book is always a good way to do that! :)

    RépondreSupprimer