samedi 2 septembre 2017

Feedback Strategies: Praise, Criticism, and Encouragement

As I mentioned in my first post on feedback, I am generally a fan. This week, I read the articles "Try Feedforward Instead of Feedback" and "Presence not Praise: How to Cultivate a Healthy Relationship with Acheivement," both of which looked at styles of feedback. I have mixed opinions about both of them.

As suggested in the title, the author of "Try Feedforward Instead of Feedback" suggests that forward-focused suggestions are more beneficial than feedback on past performances. While I agree that a future-oriented response can be positive, sometimes a person knows the goal but is unsure to what degree they have met it. In these instances, an external eye and feedback on past performances is also useful in acheiving a future goal.

I am probably more in agreement with the second article, though I have to admit my first thought was, but I like praise. Upon a more thorough reading, I realized that I actually do agree that presence is a more necessary foundation, particularly in the context of raising a child. In addition, I remembered times where praise has made me more nervous. So while I still think there is a place for giving a positive or encouraging word about someone's character or performance, I can see how it might not should be the basis of a learning environment.

In general, when I have given feedback in school before, the instructor has specified that vague praise is not the goal, so I have focused on giving comments on specific parts of the assignment, whether done well or poorly. I also have found that praise is useful in mitigating criticism so it does not sound as harsh. Both praise and criticism should have the goal of building someone up and helping them do better work.

the-power-of-encouragement
Encouragement. Web Source: Inked Weddings.



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire